Thursday, June 25, 2015

German Character Conversion: Part 2

Hello all!

After some time to let the greenstuff dry from the work I chronicled in my last post here, I got to work once again on Herr Major Rittmeister Manfred von Strickland, this time with the intent of finishing him up. So here we go:

The cut-down Maxim gun.
First I cut down the Maxim gun (which was mounted on a pintle for use aboard ships) so all that remained was the gun itself. This I glued to the Major's left hand with a viscous and very strong superglue. While that was drying I started work on the epaulettes, which I formed from greenstuff. I think they turned out rather well, if I do say so myself; I have never been a very good modeler with any kind of putty. I did attempt to extend the belt of ammunition to the box on his left hip, but this did not work out so I let it be.

So after letting the epaulettes and glue on the maxim set overnight, I am left with this:

Rear

Front
Ta-da! Conversion complete! All I can say is that I am really pleased with how he came out. There have been times in the past where I try a conversion and I end up wasting a lot of time and some money, but the Major turned out looking really good; I guess that's what happens when I take my time and don't try to finish it all in one day! All that's left now is for me to paint him up. Currently he's next in line, right after the field gun for my Marine/Naval Landing Party. Speaking of which...

The past two days in a row I've gotten my two biggest figure orders in, one from RAFM (who own the original official Space 1889 figures as well as a host of other figures) and another from eBay.

RAFM Space 1889 and Historical Figures

EBay lot of mixed Renegade and Sash & Saber figures

The RAFM order included their Space 1889 Victorian adventurers, a couple of Martians, some British soldiers in Home Service helmet from their Riel Rebellion range, and some greatcoat wearing Union troops from their Civil War range. The adventurers will be painted as citizens of several nations, while the Martians will serve their home planet, the British troops their Queen, and the Union chaps will be US Marines stationed aboard a cloudship (it gets cold at altitude--just ask that chap that first climbed the Matterhorn).

The big eBay lot of Civil War figures are a mix of Sash & Saber and Renegade miniatures. Quite a bit beefier and stockier than some of my other figs, they will form the bulk of a US Marine company, the Confederate ex-pats and Fenians on Mars, and the start of a US Navy command group. Forty figures at a very decent price, and most of them already primed up and ready for paint.

Coming soon: look forward to seeing some pained figures in the near future.

Questions comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment