Monday, June 22, 2015

First Painted Characters and New Figures

Hello all!

Finished up the first two character figures over the weekend:

Captain William Johnson, USMC

Major Marshall Benton, Ex-CSA
Check out the "Cast" tab at the top of the page for more detailed bios of these characters.

Both figures are from Chinstrap Miniatures, sold through Left Hand Miniatures, LLC here in the States. Both are very colorful sculpts and were a joy to paint. My only quibble was that Johnson's scabbard did not get completely filled in the mold and is truncated, which is a pity. Both are mounted on Litko 20mm clear plastic bases, which is a first for me. As such I overestimated the amount of super glue I needed on Johnson and a big white frosted spot ended up surrounding his feet. I learned my lesson and Benton's base looks much better without as much glue.

I also got in a few more figures today: a 3-inch Ordnance Rifle and artillery crew, both off of eBay.

Lyzard's Grin (Houston's Civil War) Fort Artillery Crew

Minifigs 3-inch Ordnance Rifle
Both the crew and the gun are true 25mm figures, as they say on their respective packages. They are just a hair shorter than the Chinstrap figures, but I don't mind mixing figures of different heights. The gun came with a sprue of tools, which is fortunate because the crew figures are cast with open hands and did not come with tools of their own. The crew members for the gun (there are four of them) I shall paint in USMC and US Navy uniforms to go along with Captain Johnson's landing party. I've already assembled the gun and crew, so al I have to do is prep the figs for painting and get to work!

Questions comments and criticisms are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Chuck

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, sir! Good to see someone else entering the field of Space:1889 gaming.

    It always irritates me when a figure's detail fails to be molded correctly. In the case of the scabbard I had something similar happen, and was able to fix it with a sliver of plastic card glued onto the trimmed stump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome AJ!

      It is indeed annoying when something arrives miscast. Though I could have fixed it, I was too excited about painting it to worry about it too much. C'est la vie.

      Delete