Saturday, June 20, 2015

Rulebooks and the First Figures

Hello all!

This Victorian Science Fiction project first came about after I decided that I might wish to do a bit of pen-and-paper roleplaying on the side. While I already have lots and lots of D&D books back at home (which is, alas, over 1,000 miles away), I have always been intrigued by the Space 1889 setting and VSF in general, so I bit the bullet and tracked down copies of both original Space 1889 core rules and the Soldier's Companion.



The next step (which is ongoing) is probably my favorite as I am an avid wargamer and miniature painter; sourcing the miniature figures that I wanted to populate my games. I've already purchased quite a few (and I'll post them as I get them), but so far only two have arrived, a pair of American Civil War officers from Chinstrap Miniatures, sold by Left Hand Miniatures LLC.


The chap on the left (in the brimmed hat) will be Major Marshall Benton, commander of a surly bunch of Confederate ex-pats living on Mars, while the man on the right (in the kepi) will be Captain William Johnson, USMC, leader of the USS Cumberland's contingent of Marines. I have decided (arbitrarily) that US Navy and Marine figures in my universe will wear American Civil War uniforms, and that there will be a substantial number of ex-Confederates living in their own colony on Mars. I'm going to try to work the latter fact into a campaign adventure based on the Charlton Heston classic Major Dundee.

I've already started painting both of these figures, and more of them should be arriving shortly. I'll post as I get new figures and/or paint the ones I have.

Questions, comments and criticisms are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment